In this episode, I share:
- Going to my first opening night when I knew no one.
- Time and days can be challenging for parents
- Why it’s worth it
- Opening nights are an opportunity
- My strategies for opening nights as an introvert
- Why I go early
- The advantages and disadvantages of going solo or with someone.
- How I approach total strangers
- Using the opportunity to document
- Seeing your work hung with others
- Being generous and sharing other artists on Instagram
- Taking to the curator
- Making connections with other artists
- Making connections leads to other opportunities
- Document your work in exhibition setting, at the opening and at a later date when it’s quiet.
When you get a yes, when your artwork, painting or sculpture is accepted, you have to celebrate because they’re so rare, those yeses. If at all possible, you have to try and go to that opening night.
Opening nights are a way of meeting other artists. I believe you have to get outside of your studio and try and connect with the art world in some way, no matter how scary it is. I’m an introvert and shy but I’m motivated to meet other artists.
“I have never, ever regretted going to an opening night. No matter how nervous I was, I always find some connection. I always meet somebody and I make a connection with somebody I didn’t know in advance.”
“Documenting an exhibition gives you a way of approaching total strangers.”
“When I arrive, I take a deep breath. I go in, I find my painting and I take a photograph. I use the opportunity to document the exhibition for my records and for Instagram.”
It’s a wonderful experience to see your work hung with others, to see how the show is curated and hung.
“Opening nights are a way of meeting other artists. I believe you have to get outside of your studio and try and connect with the art world in some way, no matter how scary it is. I’m an introvert and shy but I’m motivated to meet other artists.”
“Document your work in the exhibition setting, at the opening and at a later date when it’s quiet.”
“Opening nights are an opportunity to meet artists and make connections in the art world. These connections lead to other